[Openstack-devel] dropping essex from wheezy?

Julien Cristau jcristau at debian.org
Tue Sep 24 14:02:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:29:34 -0300, gustavo panizzo <gfa> wrote:

> hello folks
>
>     i would like to propose the elimination of essex from wheezy, our
> current stable release.

You should have thought of that before getting it in a stable release.
At this point it's just not reasonable IMO.

> - it's security maintenance is a pain, i've tried to backport some fixes
> but a year, or more, in openstack is a lot. many fixes are not easily
> back ported.

I don't think this matters much.  You wouldn't base a public cloud on
that version anyway, and most of the security fixes aren't really all
that important in a private/internal environment.

> if we chose the "make our own patch" way, is really hard to test it.
> you can create a test for the patch. but real world testing is almost
> impossible (does anybody run an essex install?)

I run one.  (Thinking of upgrading it, but that's going to take a while,
especially without a proper upgrade path.)

Cheers,
Julien