[PKG-Openstack-devel] State of systemd support in OpenStack for Jessie

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Dec 2 23:26:49 UTC 2014

Dear release team,

I just wanted to let you know that it's been since the freeze that some
contributors and myself are aware of the very poor systemd support in
OpenStack which can lead to the service not being brought up at boot time.

Since we are slowly approaching the deep freeze deadline of the 5th of
December, I thought it was a good idea to let the release team know.

We're currently working on the issue, but this will mean:
- Update openstack-pkg-tools
- Rebuild all OpenStack packages for which daemon startups are handled
by openstack-pkg-tools

I believe that Mikaël Cluseau (hereby CC) has found a satisfying
solution, though it will need to be tested. His patch can be seen here:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/openstack-devel/2014-December/007950.html

Since systemd is the default in Jessie, I hope the release team will let
us fix things before the release. Please let me know if I have to worry
that the necessary patches wont be accepted...

Should I turn this message into an upload pre-approval bug?

P.S: Note that I am not a systemd user myself, though I do consider
systemd support every important since it's what we've choose as default.