[PKG-Openstack-devel] Last packages before the OpenStack Icehouse release

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Mar 22 06:50:28 UTC 2014

Dear FTP masters,

Just a quick message to let you know where I'm at on the packaging of
OpenStack and new packages going through the NEW queue.

LT;DR: I'm nearly done, there wont be much more packages to check on the
NEW queue for the Icehouse release.

Longer version:

The next version of OpenStack (Icehouse, or 2014.1) will be released on
the 17th of April [1]. I believe I have uploaded all the packages I
needed to Experimental. In fact, all but python-oslotest, which will
also need to go through the NEW queue.

Once everything is in, we're planning to do a battery of tests, using
the tempest unit tests. We hope to have everything tested before the end
of this release cycle. Once all is tested, and Icehouse is released, I
will upload everything to Sid, overwriting the current Havana release.

Currently remaining in the new queue (so, that's 6 packages):
- ceilometer
- ironic
- python-diskimage-builder
- tripleo-image-elements
- tuskar-ui
- designate

plus python-oslotest which I'm currently working on. (oslotest will be
needed by the new version of python-oslo.messaging, used by lots of core
packages in OpenStack).

I'm currently unsure, but it's possible there's one or 2 more needed for
TripleO support. FYI: TripleO is OpenStack on OpenStack, which is a way
to have an automated deployment of OpenStack that automatically scales
(new computers are setup using IPMI and PXE).

We haven't had time to test correctly TripleO yet (which includes both
Tuskar and Ironic), but I think that's fine if the package is only
uploaded to Experimental. We're planning to do so, but it needs a big
server with at least 32 GB of RAM (since at least 7 VMs with 2 GB of RAM
each are needed for the tests, and even more if we want to test scaling
of physical resources using heat).

Last thing, there will be another upload of openstack-meta-packages,
which will add an "openstack-deploy" pacakge, which makes it possible to
deploy all OpenStack automatically using preseeding. I need to test it a
bit more before uploading though.

When I'm done with all of this, I'll try to spend the remaining time
working on adding Python 3 support to all the packages I can. So I'm
afraid some Python packages will again go through the NEW queue.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Icehouse_Release_Schedule