[PKG-Openstack-devel] Last packages before the OpenStack Icehouse release

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Sat Mar 22 18:59:06 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 01:27:28AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 03/23/2014 01:07 AM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > Open vSwitch 2.1 was just released.  I am considering updating the
> > Debian version to 2.1 (from 1.9), but I can hold off if it would cause
> > problems for OpenStack packaging.
> This is quite the opposite. We're currently working with OVS 2.0.1,
> kernel 3.12 from backports and the like. Please go ahead and upload!
>
> Are you now using the git repository in the OpenStack group that I've
> setup? I did couples of commit there, and that's what we've been using
> for our deployments.

Based on our earlier discussions, the issue there is that it requires us
to drop or move aside the Debian directory that is in the Open vSwitch
repo.  I've been thinking about that for some time now, and I think I've
concluded that moving it to a directory with a different name is the
most reasonable option.  I'll plan to send out a patch for that next
week, but it's not in place in the 2.1 release.

In the meantime, I'll look at the commits you made and make sure to
apply important changes.

> BTW, since datapath is now in the Linux kernel, should we drop support
> for the DKMS module (and the module assistant one) in OVS?

The module in the Open vSwitch source tree often has features (or just
bug fixes) not in the most recently released kernel, and the most
recently released kernel isn't always the one in use.  That's why we
keep those packages at all.