[PKG-Openstack-devel] Please re-use other packages debconf translations when introducing new OpenStack packages

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Fri May 2 07:00:45 UTC 2014

Dear OpenStack maintainers,

I just noticed Yet Another OpenStack package popping up today, namely
"designate". This package has 32 new strings in its debconf
templates...all of them similar to other OpenStack packages strings.

In order to send the update work to the French translator in charge of
all these things (J. Patriarca), I picked strings from Neutron and
synced them with designate templates....which leads to only cosmetic
changes to do in order to have a complete translation.

Still, it would be nice if that work is done "upstream" by you, as
maintainers. When introducing a new package, often by "deriving" an
existing one, I guess, could you *also* pick the debconf translations
of that package...then just resync them (debconf-updatepo is your
friend).

This way, the translations in the uploaded package would be nearly
complete and translators have minimal work to do (you know that we're lazy
people, don't you?).

More seriously, it would save us the time to big up for similar
package in you vast collection of packages....which is not really
easy, as all of them are slightly different one for each other....

Many thanks in advance for your help in future packages.