[PKG-Openstack-devel] Please re-use other packages debconf translations when introducing new OpenStack packages

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Sat May 3 05:42:42 UTC 2014

(thanks for your quick answer, as usual, Thomas)

Quoting Thomas Goirand (zigo at debian.org):

> Hi,
>
> I believe that templates for Designate were taken from another OpenStack
> package. I can't tell which one (it's been too much time), but I'm sure
> it is the case.
>
> If you can produce a diff to fix the package templates, I'd be happy to
> apply it, but right now, I'm not sure how to detect the differences
> between the strings in an efficient way. Advices welcome.

My suggestion would be picking up Neutron translations. Just copy PO
files from neutron's debian/po to designate's debian/po, then run
"debconf-updatepo".

That should lead to PO files with some fuzzy strings (but very easy to
fix, mostly by s/Neutron/Designate....but leave that up to
translators) and a few untranslated ones, which translators will have
no problem completing.

At least this will save them a lot of work.

Don't try to "fix" PO files, though. That will be too dangerous and
mostly useless...