[PKG-Openstack-devel] Django PySCSS package

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Nov 8 22:43:36 UTC 2014

On 11/07/2014 01:53 AM, Antoine Catton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm one of the maintainer of <http://github.com/fusionbox/django-pyscss>.
>
> I've been reviewing the packaging in Fedora and Debian.
>
> Even though, I'm familiar with Fedora packaging (since it's my main
> distro, and I packaged things for internal work), I don't know a lot
> about the Debian packaging process. Therefore, please excuse my lack of
> knowledge on this matter.
>
> <http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/openstack/python-django-pyscss.git/tree/debian/patches>
>
> <http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/python-django-pyscss.git/tree/>
>
> I couldn't help notice that both packages (Fedora and Debian) were
> applying patches for issues that were fixed and released. Is there any
> reason for that?

Hi Antoine,

I'm the package maintainer for this package in Debian. We use it for
OpenStack (and specifically, the OpenStack dashboard, Horizon).

The reason is that Debian Jessie is now frozen, and we can't upgrade to
a new version.

> I know that in Fedora packaging process, this could be denied in case of
> review. I believe Debian is more liberal on this matter.
>
> <https://github.com/fusionbox/django-pyscss/pull/25> in the case of
> Fedora and Debian.
> <https://github.com/fusionbox/django-pyscss/pull/18> in the case of
> Debian only.
>
> 1.0.6 should make those patches useless.
>
> I just wanted let you know that we're ready to work with any packager to
> upstream fix as soon as possible. We use semantic versioning. [1] Even
> tough any change breaks someone workflow, [2] increasing the patch
> version is supposed to be 100% backward compatible.

The thing is, it's difficult to convince the release team that we need
an upgrade. They will want to review the difference, and we have to be
very convincing so that they break the rules.

> Github issues are our favorite way of communicating. But we're okay with
> receiving patch by email at programmers at fusionbox.com.

Best way for us is to use the packaging list:
PKG OpenStack <openstack-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>

Or simply the Debian bug tracker.

As for the fixes of the patches, I would need you to explain what needs
to change, and I may put that in a new Debian specific patch. For
example, do you think that I need to add another patch? If there's
nothing critical, then I will just leave the package as-is.