[PKG-Openstack-devel] Django PySCSS package

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Nov 11 22:40:33 UTC 2014

On 11/12/2014 01:02 AM, Antoine Catton wrote:
> Hey Thomas,
>
> On 08/11/14 15:43, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> The reason is that Debian Jessie is now frozen, and we can't upgrade to
>> a new version.
>
> I understand, but this is a "patch" version, meaning only bug fixes have
> been applied. No new feature were introduced, backward compatibility try
> to be guaranteed. (I said "tried" because a bug fixes are usually
> backward incompatible. Someone might have been using this bug as a
> feature.)

Which is exactly why we do not upgrade to new bugfix releases unless we
know what we're doing.

Anyway, I had a look, and the only relevant change is this one:
https://github.com/fusionbox/django-pyscss/commit/fc83133312ef976dd24905136967102351b814ea

I had similar "fix" for Django 1.7 compatibility, but your patch is much
better than what I wrote, so I've replaced mine by this one. I'm now
asking the release team to accept the change, let's see how it goes.

> We maintain a ChangeLog on the stable/1.0.x branch. [1]
>
> Between 1.0.3 (the current version on Debian) and 1.0.6 (the version I
> want you to switch to) the following patches have been applied:
>
>  * 1.0.4: Pin PyScss to 1.2.0 (This was fixing a import error)
>  * 1.0.5: Fix bad pinning (The setup.py pinning to 1.2.0 had a typo)

I really don't care about your "pinning" tox stuff, that's not relevant
to a Debian package.

>  * 1.0.6: Fix Django 1.7 compatibility (which is the patch
> "add-django-1.7-compat" [2] you're currently applying)

As per above, I've applied the patch you're now using, instead of mine.
So really, version 1.0.3-3 in Debian should be the exact same thing as
version 1.0.6 upstream.

>> As for the fixes of the patches, I would need you to explain what needs
>> to change, and I may put that in a new Debian specific patch. For
>> example, do you think that I need to add another patch? If there's
>> nothing critical, then I will just leave the package as-is.
>
> I mean, first of all, is I said above, "fix-storage.prefix-not-found" is
> already applied on 1.0.3. So I'm not sure how you can apply it again
> without having the "patch" command line tool complaining.

I believe the patch was still there, but not present in the
debian/patches/series file, so it was irrelevant.

> As far as I know, Fedora's/Red hat's policy is "use the upstream package
> as is and upstream patch if needed", here you're using an old version of
> the upstream package and apply fixes which are already applied upstream.
> This is tedious, you're almost maintaining a fork.

Not really. My Django 1.7 fix existed before it was in your github
repository. And we only do this kind of stuff during the freeze, to
selectively fix bugs as we see them, without touching anything else (as
much as this is possible at least...).