[PKG-Openstack-devel] Self recursive symlink python-xstatic-jquery-ui 1.10.1.1+debian+dfsg1-3

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Oct 30 14:18:07 UTC 2014

On 10/30/2014 06:52 PM, Raphael Glon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if I'm not writing to the correct ml, but since you are
> maintaining the package, you may have the answer:
>
> What is the point of having a self recursive symlink in general and in
> particular with this package.
>
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xstatic/pkg/jquery_ui/data/ui -> .
>
> https://lintian.debian.org/tags/symlink-is-self-recursive.html
>
> If I'm asking this, it's because any self recursive link breaks the
> staticfiles collection of horizon dashboard (juno package,
> /usr/share/openstack-dashboard/manage.py collectstatic)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Raphael

Hi Raphael,

Yes, that's the list that is about packaging OpenStack, and you are very
much welcome to write in it. BTW, is OVH using OpenStack on Debian? I
would very much welcome you to do so, and will do my best to support you
guys if you need help and/or bugfixes. I've known OVH since the very
beginning when it was made of 4 racks at claranet, and I believe Octave
still remembers me from the newgroup f.r.i.h... :)

Funny that you wrote about that now, as I also discovered the issue
earlier this week.

The reason is simple: Horizon is searching for jquery-ui.js inside that
folder, when it shouldn't do that. One way to fix it would be to replace
the ui symlink by a real folder, and create symlinks to the .js files
inside that folder as well. Though upgrading from a symlink to a folder
is a pretty tricky operation in a Debian package. I'll see what I can do
about it.

But anyway, there's no reason at all to run
"/usr/share/openstack-dashboard/manage.py collectstatic" in the context
of the OpenStack horizon package in Debian. It should work out of the
box the way it is packaged already. So overall, I'm not sure this needs
to be fixed.