[PKG-Openstack-devel] [MoM] Packaging manila

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Apr 3 14:50:31 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 02:25:59AM +0430, Malihe Asemani wrote:
> As Andreas said, In the cloud section of Xamin we have focused on OpenStack
> and try to provide a public IAAS with an easy to use interface for users.
> Furthermore we have some plans for integrating Xamin IAAS with other Xamin
> echo-system products completely.

Thanks for the explanation.

> >   dget
> > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/m/manila/manila_2015.1~b2-0ubuntu1.dsc
> >
> > After inspection I would suggest the following steps to Malihe:
> >
> >    1. Create a login on http://alioth.debian.org
> >       Note for beginners about a typical pitfall:  Assuming you register
> >       with the ID "malihe" your alioth login will be malihe-guest (as
> >       long as you are no DD).  Just make sure you always append the
> >       '-guest' string to the name you are registering when logging in
> >       to alioth.
> >    2. Once you are accepted go to the openstack-devel project and
> >       ask for membership.
> >       [OpenStack admins: If ACLs for DDs are not set I'll register as
> >        well but once we have finished this MoM project I'll become
> >        inactive and you might like to remove me again]
> >    3. Make sure you can
> >
> >           ssh alioth.debian.org
> >
> >       I have learned that it is *really* important to read this Wiki
> >       article[5] to approach this successfully.
> >
> > Malihe, please confirm if you did this successfully or post any problem
> > as verbose as possible here on this list.
>

> Step one and two are done.

Good.

> It was said that the joining request to a project needs about 24 hours to
> be accepted. It is more than 24h that I have sent the request. But I still
> have not received any confirmation. Also, there is not any info on my
> Alioth page about adding the OpenStack project to my projects list.

I think you'll get an information via mail.  This 24h is a rough
estimation.  If you register to Debian Med you usually need to wait less
than a hour.  It might help to ping via IRC channel.

> Afterwards, I added my ssh-key using:
> https://alioth.debian.org/account/editsshkeys.php
> But I can't ssh to Alioth. Permission denied.

I was told this might also need some time.  I'm not sure whether a
manual process is involved here but I have heard that the time needed
was longer than in other cases.  Perhaps trying from time to time is the
proper recipe.

> Once this is done we keep on
> > with creating
> >
> >    ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/manila.git
> >
> > commit the current Ubuntu code base and proceed from here.  When doing
> > so we will inform the current maintainers of the Ubuntu package about
> > all single steps.  If we are lucky they will pull on the same end of
> > the rope and we will finish easily.  (As promised if its "too easy" we
> > keep on with another project - but I do not believe that anything that
> > looks easy in the beginning is really easy in the end. :-))
> >
> Okay, lets try it :)
> Although, I already agree with your suggestion about doing another project,
> after finishing this one ;)

:-)

> > Any comments about this plan are more than welcome.
> >
> > Malihe, I'm looking forward in this MoM project with you
> >
> Thank you. I'm delighted to be working in MOM with you :)
>    Malihe

Just beeing back from the (probably last for this year) cross country
skiing and considering that until Monday its more family time my
for the patience on your side that will be needed.  If you see no way
forward I'd recommend having a look into the Debian Med policy

   https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html

which will not fully apply to OpenStack.  But you'll get a lot of
general hints and hints to essential reading.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de