[PKG-Openstack-devel] Cooperation in adding Manila to Debian

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 17 13:41:53 UTC 2015

Hi Malihe

On 12/04/15 22:29, Malihe Asemani wrote:
> I noticed that you have packaged Manila component of OpenStack for
> Ubuntu (packages.ubuntu.com/manila
> <http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/utopic/manila>). We plan to
> package Manila for Debian, too. I would see good chances for
> synergies when we would collaborate inside a common Git repository
> in git.debian.org/openstack
> <http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/openstack> to join the effort to
> make the best possible packages of manila for Debian and Ubuntu (as
> well as their derivatives).
>
> I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to Chuck (who I work with) to
collaborate on Manilla packaging.

First off, I'd like to point you at our most recent updates to Manila
for OpenStack Kilo in Ubuntu:

  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/manila

Feel free to pull the source package (using 'pull-lp-source manila'
from ubuntu-dev-tools is a good way)  or branch the bzr branch (bzr
branch lp:ubuntu/manila) to take a look/import into git - no major
changes for Kilo - just new upstream code and bumped/new dependencies.

Secondly - let me introduce myself - I'm the technical lead of the
OpenStack Engineering team at Canonical, and I'm both a Ubuntu Core
dev and a Debian Developer.

And finally, I'd also like to take the opportunity to respond to
Thomas' immediate flame of everything/everybody Canonical when you
sent your email.

Thomas and my team have divergent views on what should be done in the
packaging for OpenStack, and despite numerous efforts over the last
few years, we've never managed to align on those views sufficiently to
enable any direct collaboration.

My teams choice of VCS system is also perceived as a blocker to
collaboration, despite the fact we've had an effective flow of
collaboration between Ubuntu and Debian since Ubuntu was setup via
source packages, patches and bugs (see [0] - I've made over 650
contributions back to Debian via this process).

As a result there is no collaboration on the core OpenStack package
set - which is a shame, but life is not always full of agreement, so
we to live with this situation for now.

I'd encourage you to ensure that the work you do on Manila is
consumable by any Debian or Ubuntu developer via the source package
format - don't assume that whomever is working on the package is
working in git.  This makes life a whole lot easier in a world where
we don't all use the same VCS.

The work we do in Ubuntu is always consumable back into Debian via the
same process (source packages).

Please feel free to reach or to Chuck (zulcss) or myself (jamespage)
in #ubuntu-server on Freenode IRC if you have any queries about our
packaging of Manila!

Cheers

James

[0] http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/ubuntu_usertag.cgi