[PKG-Openstack-devel] Cooperation in adding Manila to Debian

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Apr 17 14:12:44 UTC 2015

Hi James,

please note that I consider myself as a *total* outsider to OpenStack
and just want to guide Malihe into packaging.  I do not intend to step
on anybodies feet. :-)

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 02:41:53PM +0100, James Page wrote:
> As a result there is no collaboration on the core OpenStack package
> set - which is a shame, but life is not always full of agreement, so
> we to live with this situation for now.

Thanks for explaining the situation from your point of view.  This is
quite helpful for newcomers.

> I'd encourage you to ensure that the work you do on Manila is
> consumable by any Debian or Ubuntu developer via the source package
> format - don't assume that whomever is working on the package is
> working in git.  This makes life a whole lot easier in a world where
> we don't all use the same VCS.

Good hint.

> The work we do in Ubuntu is always consumable back into Debian via the
> same process (source packages).

Since the final target of our work is an upload of manila to official
Debian I hope we can fulfill this requirement.  For the purpose of the
Mentoring of the Month project for Malihe which also has the purpose to
introduce her into the OpenStack team I consider it practical to adapt
to the tools which are used inside this team.  Patches, remarks and
helpful hints (like the one above) for better cooperation are always
helpful.

> Please feel free to reach or to Chuck (zulcss) or myself (jamespage)
> in #ubuntu-server on Freenode IRC if you have any queries about our
> packaging of Manila!

As a personal hint to Malihe:  You see that learning Debian packaging is
only 50% of technical work (maximum ;-)) - there is a lot of stuff to
learn about how things are organised, where to ask for help, and perhaps
how to avoid pitfalls. :-)

>From my point of view we should keep on with the original plan to follow
the workflow in the Debian OpenStack team and once we are about to
upload a source package (and I agree with James that this is a very
generic and helpful exchange format) re-check with James and Chuck for
some additional hints.

Kind regards and thanks again to James for the explanation

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de