[PKG-Openstack-devel] liberasurecode/pyeclib v1.0.8

Gohad, Tushar tushar.gohad at intel.com
Wed Aug 5 16:49:15 UTC 2015

Hi Zigo,

> 1/ Embedded liberasurecode
>
> On 08/05/2015 10:04 AM, Gohad, Tushar wrote:
> > PS:  Please note we have eliminated the "v1.0.8m" style tag altogether
> > - there is only one version now, with integrated liberasurecode (this
> > is still required for Openstack CI) - we may be able to get rid of the
> > integrated version if we can get liberasurecode-1.0.8 installed on the
> > Openstack Jenkins slave image by default.
>
> This isn't good at all. The OpenStack CI gate shouldn't dictate the way
> you release things. If the gate is broken, fix the gate, don't break the
> packaging just to fix the gate. Maybe adding some options just for the
> gate would do? That'd be best, because the OpenStack gate should be
> considered the exception, and not the general use case.

It is hard to get it right for all - we chose to keep it functioning the way it was, for CI check/gate.  As soon as the 1.0.8 .deb packages are in Trusty, we'll get those included in the Openstack CI slaves.

(In the past we had to support Centos6 for a slave host OS and didn't have rpms available)

> Lucky, with a few patches, it doesn't seem to try building
> liberasurecode when I build pyeclib 1.0.8. I have attached the patches
> which I currently use in the PyECLib package. Please consider having a
> way to integrate these patches upstream (an option to setup.py would do,
> I'd just add this option to my debian/rules).

We'll add an option to setup.py - we can retag it.

> 2/ rpath tweaks
>
> You will notice that I'm removing all the tweaks you're doing with the
> runtime library path. It is forbidden by the Debian policy to play with
> that, and for good reasons. Please see this document:
>
> https://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-
> guide.html#rpath
>
> (specifically this rpath section, but it's nice if you can take the time
> to read all of the doc)

I see - we'll retag a 1.0.9 with rpaths removed.  Thanks for the suggestion.

> 4/ Upload
>
> Anyway, despite the above issues, I was able to upload both
> liberasurecode and pyeclib to Debian Sid. Please let me know if you can
> address some/all of the above issues directly in upstream.

Will do.  Thank you.

Tushar (tsg)