[PKG-Openstack-devel] openstack debian image improvements

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Thu May 21 16:50:07 UTC 2015

On 05/20/2015 09:46 AM, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> It's the nature of future failures that we don't know what they are and
> how we would debug them. So IMO it's best to have as much debug output
> as possible available at a place that's not obstrusive.

It's my opinion that kernel debug output is very verbose and not giving
any clues of the type of failures we may have. If we can redirect that
to ttyS0 or something, then why not, but I don't believe it's convenient
on tty0

>> Upgrading to the latest
>> kernel image will also work with syslinux, AFAIK. (If not, let me know,
>> and then it must be easy to fix.)
>
> It works if you rely on the /vmlinuz and /initrd.img symlink pointing to
> the right place. This is one part of my patch.

Great then! Let's use that.

> But then still there will
> be no menu entry for the previous image and for rescue boot and so on.

I wonder how fast you must clicking on horizon to be able to reach the
menu before the timeout. This doesn't seem a realistic way to handle
things in the cloud use case.

> I don't think there is much need for such a check, most Unix tools
> overwrite files without prompting. IMO this is to be expected. Or you
> could just reverse the logic so that the user has the option to choose a
> different filename in that case or to rename the already existing file
> or whatever you like.

I'll find a solution.

>> Would you know how I may get the content of /etc/debian_version from
>> base-files in Jessie with couples of wget / curl calls? That may be one
>> of the ways. Maybe there's some more easy way to go. Adding Steve
>> McIntyre as Cc: as he may have the answer.
>
> I don't know anything other than downloading the base-files deb,
> unpacking it and looking at the file. If you want to implement that,
> that's fine too. I don't really care. I just think hardcoding the version
> number does not scale at all, is prone to errors and makes building
> images for different distributions impossible.

I'm sure there's a better solution. I'll ask on #debian-devel or through
lists before doing anything. In the mean while, I'll apply the patches
you provided on which we agree.