[PKG-Openstack-devel] No admin/service users is created

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Tue Dec 6 12:26:51 UTC 2016

On 6 Dec 2016, at 11:56, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> If you want a different user for each and every service, then you have
> to create it by yourself using the openstack command line. We could add
> the logic for it, but I don't think it's useful. Your thoughts?

Well, you’re asking for that information AND you’re writing that information
into the config file(s).

It stands to reason, in my opinion, that that user should also be/have been
created.

> BTW, I had a look at the bug reports you sent about db issues, and it
> looks like to me that you were using SQLite. For a number of project,
> this isn't supported upstream. I'm therefore confused and not sure what
> I should do with these bugs. Any comment?

I’m not sure where/when the issue originally appeared, but I’m guessing
somewhere in the pre-seeding. Or in combination with creating the
dbconfig files..

These two must match properly - which in my opinion is a little annoying.

So somewhere, the MySQL DB wasn’t created (or ‘known’ to the pre/post
install scripts - i.e. they didn’t know to use MySQL), so it did a fallback to
using SQLite.

If SQLite isn’t an option for that service/package, that should not be an
option to choose in debconf, and if the pre/post install script don’t know
what to do [correctly], they should simply fail with an error. Not try to do
something that will fail with a “weird” error.

Regarding the dbconfig/debconf match/missmatch, I think that debconf
should be authoritative. “You” [someone] is currently asking if the debconfig
files should be kept/recreated but, IMO, they should ALWAYS be recreated,
with information from debconf in the postinst scripts.

That way, they’re ALWAYS ‘up-to-date’ with information that’s specified
in debconf.

And the passwords should NOT be purged automatically! Let the user
decide when/where to purge that (I do it at the very end of my bootstrap
script). Or simply have a debconf option to turn this [automatic purging]
on/off.

Because of this, every time I’ve installed a package, I need to run the
preseeding again. Oh, and every time I’ve run reconfigure etc!!

Feel free to purge the passwords from the dbconfig files, as long as those
files are recreated if/when someone runs configure/reconfigure on the
package(s).