[PKG-Openstack-devel] No admin/service users is created

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Tue Dec 6 17:30:29 UTC 2016

On 6 Dec 2016, at 17:08, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

>> Well, you’re asking for that information AND you’re writing that information
>> into the config file(s).
>
> The point of asking for the information is precisely to be able to write
> it in the configuration file.

Indeed.

>> It stands to reason, in my opinion, that that user should also be/have been
>> created.
>
> In which case shall we then create the user? Should we add another
> prompt to ask if we should create the user or not?

If the user don’t already exists, yes. A ‘no’ answer here would indicate that
the user have decided to take responsibility of that themselves (such as
going through LDAP or something else).

But a question would be good.

> Should we then ask for tenant, login and pass, to be able to create the user?

We already have that information. You’ve already asked it..

> Well, I'm not sure how you're doing the preseeding. Why don't you use
> the preseed lib which is provided by openstack-meta-packages?

Because it’s not versatile enough. And it doesn’t quite suite my need.

> Yes, though it's hard to list which project supports SQLite or not. I
> know at least Neutron and Ironic don't. For the others, I'm really not sure.

Then start with those two, and we (you) can extend it once more information
becomes available.

> I have read that dbconfig-common was fixed, and that now we could use only
> debconf preseeding, but I haven't tested this.

Ok, sounds good.

> dpkg-reconfigure dbconfig-common -plow makes it so it's possible to keep
> the root password. Though the root password isn't even needed in case
> you're just using a local server.

But the postinst still calls db_unregister() to unregister all service user passwords.

> As for the password for the service itself, it's not being prompted

Yes it is. The “*/admin-password” and “*/db/app-user” and “*/mysql/app-pass” for
the passwords..

> Then you're doing something wrong. I've been running a preseed for the
> packaging CI which installs everything in a single node, and there's no
> need to reconfigure packages.

Yes, I’m well aware that if/when I get everything right, I don’t need to run
reconfigure, but that’s the whole point at the moment. I HAVEN’T gotten
everything right, and the quickest way to verify what I’m doing wrong is
to run reconfigure and then compare the differences.

I’m not expecting to do that often, but _I_ would like that no-one messes
with my setup but me! _I_ decide when/if I want things purged etc, etc..

> With all of the above, it looks like I can close all of the bugs you
> filled about db issues. Can you confirm?

I think that would be premature. The error is there, they happened and it
will continue to happen. Next time it won’t be an experienced Linux admin
that deals with this. It’s going to be someone that’ll end up completely stumped
about the errors..

But I guess it’s all about how interested you are in making these packages
“perfect”..