[PKG-Openstack-devel] networking-mlnx changes for Mitaka

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Jan 15 03:45:20 UTC 2016

On 01/15/2016 12:08 AM, Lenny Verkhovsky wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> In Mitaka networking-mlnx we combined eswitchd and networking-mlnx-agent in one package.
> How can we make deb package that includes 2 services that will be installed and running?
> In another words I need to combine python-networking-mlnx.upstart and eswitchd.upstart in one deb file.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Lenny,

Please don't forget to put the PKG OpenStack list in all of your
writings to me about packaging. Others may also learn when reading.

Usually, packages with names starting with "python-" would not include a
startup script. We can do it still though, but probably it would make
sense to rename the package.

To answer your question, I first have to ask: would it make sense, in
some deployments, to have only one of the 2 daemons started? If so, then
probably each should be running its own independent binary package (ie:
.deb file). Please let me know about this important fact, so we can
decide to add new .deb target when building.

Now, you're talking about upstart. Upstart is mostly an Ubuntu trusty
thing. Debian Jessie has switched to systemd, and therefore, we should
provide some .service files also. It is also nice to have some legacy
sysv-rc files around. Therefore, I have designed openstack-pkg-tools to
handle all of the 3 init systems. I bloged about it here, about a year ago:
http://thomas.goirand.fr/blog/?p=212

Since, there was some corrections made to the system, and Ubuntu also
adopted it in their packages.

Now, for your specific question, just have a look at the nova package,
and more specifically, to the nova-consoleprox. Make sure to look in
Debian, as it is not the same as in Ubuntu:
git clone git://git.debian.org/git/openstack/nova.git

Then do: ls debian/nova-consoleproxy*.init.in

What you see there is 3 daemons for the nova-consoleproxy:
nova-consoleproxy.nova-novncproxy.init.in
nova-consoleproxy.nova-spicehtml5proxy.init.in
nova-consoleproxy.nova-xenvncproxy.init.in

They all all end-up in the nova-consoleproxy .deb, with the names:
nova-novncproxy
nova-spicehtml5proxy
nova-xenvncproxy

The nova-consoleproxy will have support for sysv-rc, upstart and
systemd, using the generation system that uses the template init.in.

Once you do it, and push it to the git on Alioth, please make sure to
ping me so I can review your changes, as probably, some other things
aren't so obvious.