[PKG-Openstack-devel] Understanding current state of Cobbler package in Debian

Nish Aravamudan nish.aravamudan at canonical.com
Tue Jul 12 00:20:26 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am (more actively before) an upstream Cobbler developer and now work
for Canonical on the Ubuntu server team. As part of my efforts to get
packages updated, I have synced the Ubuntu 16.10 package to Debian;
however this package really does not work. I have filed a few bugs (and
will file more, if desired) -- Bug #830505, Bug #830302, to fix some
obvious issues.

I'm trying to understand, though, a bit about why certain decisions were
made (e.g., having debian templates in debian/{pxe,power} that are
different from upstream and also are not kept up-to-date with the
version of Cobbler packaged) -- the git anonscm log doesn't give me much
information. Is there any documentation about the Debian packaging?  Or
an appropriate IRC channel? Is Cobbler in Debian actively maintained?
The 2.6.6 release was from October 2014 and the upstream code has been
significantly improved since then (Bug #813549).

Thanks in advance,
Nish

--
Nishanth Aravamudan