[PKG-Openstack-devel] first install notes - debconf inconsistencies in neutron-metadata-agent etc

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Sun Jun 5 14:47:06 UTC 2016

I'm installing Openstack on one of my new blade servers and noticed
a small inconsistency in the debconf questions:

  ┌────┤ Configuring neutron-metadata-agent ├─────┐
  │                                               │
  │                                               │
  │ Auth server password:                         │
  │                                               │
  │ ********************_________________________ │
  │                                               │
  │                    <Ok>                       │
  │                                               │
  └───────────────────────────────────────────────┘

On all the other packages, it looks like:

  ┌─────────────────────┤ Configuring heat-common ├─────────────────────┐
  │ Please specify the password to use with the authentication server.  │
  │                                                                     │
  │ Authentication server password:                                     │
  │                                                                     │
  │ ********************_______________________________________________ │
  │                                                                     │
  │                               <Ok>                                  │
  │                                                                     │
  └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

I'd use "reportbug", but it doesn't work at the moment (because I'm having
problems with some packages, including neutron-metadata-agent, not being
configured properly).

bladeA01:~# dpkg -l neutron-metadata-agent | tail -n1
iU  neutron-metadata-agent 2:8.0.0-2    all          OpenStack virtual network service - metadata agent

I'm getting a lot of failed installs/configure. See http://bayour.com/misc/screenlog-openstack_install.txt
The command line I used (see attachment bladeA01-install_openstack_packages.sh)
on a freshly installed Jessie, with Testing added to the sources.list.d dir:

  bladeA01:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/testing.list
  deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
  deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing-proposed-updates main contrib non-free
  deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing-updates main contrib non-free

PS. I knew that rabbitmq was needed before I even started (see, I DID
    read documentation! :), so I had to add that manually because I
    noticed that it wasn't pulled in automatically.

    I think it would be a good idea (?) to either add RabbitMQ as
    a Depends, or more appropriate I guess, as a Suggests to all (?)
    packages.

That command line, with "-d" added, resulted in the packages specified
in the attachment bladeA01-apt_archives-pre_install-openstack.txt being
downloaded and then installed (except for the erlang stuff which came
with the rabbitmq package when it was added to the command line - never
bothered to create a new output log file).

Because of my use-case (which might be idiotic, but this is the first time
I even look at Openstack in more detail so bare with me :), I'm installing
_EVERYTHING_ (except compute - nova and magnum) onto ONE machine. That will
then be duplicated identically onto one more blade. Not because I need to
[have a fallback/redundancy], but because I can :).

Just looking at "top" and there's quite a nice load average! Might not be
the best idea I've had in a while:

  bladeA01:/usr/src# uptime
   15:38:47 up 19:43,  2 users,  load average: 15.67, 15.75, 15.50

This is a HP G6, dual Intel Xeon Quad Core E5530 @ 2.40GHz (total 16 "cpus"
according to /proc/cpuinfo - but that might count the threads as well?) and
16GB memory (I'm going to siphon the other blade center for more memory)
running in "Energy Saving Mode" (at the moment, until I get everything working,
I'm more interested in saving on the heating and electricity bill :).

The BIOS claims that it's running at 1.6GHz, but I can't verify that in /proc/cpuinfo.

The load average of almost 16 is the highest sustained load I've ever seen
though :D. Doesn't seem to matter, everything seems quite responsive.

Unfortunately, since "keystone" is one of the packages that doesn't configure
correctly, I can't login and look at the brand spanking new and pretty
Openstack install. So I'd appreciate some pointers on how to get this show
on the road..