[PKG-Openstack-devel] first install notes - debconf inconsistencies in neutron-metadata-agent etc

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jun 6 12:48:46 UTC 2016

On 06/06/2016 01:03 AM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> So I installed mysql-server (a recommends/depends somewhere?)

It is a bad idea to recommends/depends on an SQL server, as typically,
you would install a MySQL-Galera / Mariadb-Galera cluster, and you'd be
using networking. So I don't think that's something we should do.

> Ok, that might explain why I can't get networking to work..
>
> So which ones should I keep?

The one you will want to run... ;) You need to understand how Neutron
works, and select the type of networking you'll use: VXLan, Linux
bridge, GRE tunneling, SR-IOV are things you need to decide on.

> Btw, I need "Ironic" to be able to install my other blades (still don't have
> a compute - need to get ironic to work first).

Ironic works together with a nova-compute, it can't be used alone.

>>> on a freshly installed Jessie, with Testing added to the sources.list.d dir:
>>
>> WHAT?!? You *cannot* mix Jessie and Testing this way. This will lead to
>> *many* breakage. If you want to use Jessie, then you can add the
>> repositories described here:
>
> Well.. I removed jessie-backports and then it worked just fine. As far
> as I can tell. Unless you mean that it will install fine, but stuff won't
> work.. ?

I mean that you must choose to *either* use Jessie + Jessie-backports,
*OR* testing (in which case you'll need to upgrade to it).

> Which might be another reason why some things don't work:
>
>     bladeA01:~# . admin-openrc
>     bladeA01:~# ironic chassis-list
>     Internal Server Error (HTTP 500)

Well, since you didn't understand that nova-compute needs to be setup to
run Ironic, your installation must be quite wrong. I'd suggest reading
more docs.

>> Also, I wonder what documentation you've been reading. No documentation
>> suggest to blindly install all of the packages you attempted to install
>> in this way.
>
> Can't find any documentation that will tell me exactly what to do!
>
> The http://docs.openstack.org/draft/install-guide-debian isn't complete (and
> from the little tests I've done, wrong in some places).

Feel free to file bugs for it, and we'll fix. There's also this one:
http://docs.openstack.org/draft/install-guide-debconf/

which will be the place where all things debconf (ie: without disabling
prompts) will be documented from now on.

>> apt-get install openstack-proxy-node
>
> What's a proxy node?

The one which will have all the API running.

>> There's also a magic "openstack-deploy" package which contains a helper
>
>> to install everything at once.
>
> How does that differ from what I've done now?

It preseeds all answers and provides a hands-off installation. Then
you'll have all passwords written in osinstallrc.

> I finally got keystone installed (and from what I can tell) and working.
> However, the first piece I need working is Ironic. Because without that,
> I can't get my compute(s) installed. There's 14 (plus the other end of the
> control) of them, and I'm not doing that manually!!

As I wrote, to get Ironic working, you need nova-compute working.

> Btw, a previous question I asked here was how to get real VMs and Containers
> working on the same host. Then I didn't know about Magnum.
>
> Can Magnum and Nova work on the same [physical] host?

I don't know.