[PKG-Openstack-devel] first install notes - debconf inconsistencies in neutron-metadata-agent etc

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Mon Jun 6 13:10:26 UTC 2016

On Jun 6, 2016, at 1:48 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> It is a bad idea to recommends/depends on an SQL server, as typically,
> you would install a MySQL-Galera / Mariadb-Galera cluster, and you'd be
> using networking. So I don't think that's something we should do.

A Recommends, or even the looser Suggests is quite harmless and for first
timers, I think it would help a lot.. At least that will give you (me) an
idea that there's a fundamental decision I need to make.

> The one you will want to run... ;) You need to understand how Neutron
> works, and select the type of networking you'll use: VXLan, Linux
> bridge, GRE tunneling, SR-IOV are things you need to decide on.

:).

Any link to where i can read up on that?

> Ironic works together with a nova-compute, it can't be used alone.

Dang :(.

> I mean that you must choose to *either* use Jessie + Jessie-backports,
> *OR* testing (in which case you'll need to upgrade to it).

Yeah, in practice that's exactly what happens when you add all
testing and remove jessie backports.

Packages will always be newer in Testing, so dpkg/apt will use
that..

But all packages is installed just fine now and from what I can
see, they also all work as expected.

As expected one could assume when I don't have a compute. I was
hoping I didn't need to install that manually..

> Well, since you didn't understand that nova-compute needs to be setup to
> run Ironic, your installation must be quite wrong. I'd suggest reading
> more docs.

Feel free to link me to one that's actually up to date and in a language
that's easy to understand AND talks about the different options..

> Feel free to file bugs for it, and we'll fix. There's also this one:
> http://docs.openstack.org/draft/install-guide-debconf/

Well, I'm not sure I'll be doing that.. Last bugs I filed was closed right
away without closer not understanding the underlying problem.

But I'll be reading that doc from cover to end!

> It preseeds all answers and provides a hands-off installation. Then
> you'll have all passwords written in osinstallrc.

Yeah, but then I'll be in the same situation as before - I don't have
the foggies idea what I'm doing and I'll keep pestering everyone till
I do :D

Better to take the bull by the horn and tell him/her who's the boss right
away - saves a lot of grief in the long run. :)

>> Can Magnum and Nova work on the same [physical] host?
>
> I don't know.

Who might now? Last chance to get rid of me :D

After starting to at least have a glimmer of idea what everything is,
and how they work together, I started looking at logs (in more detail!! :)
and actually started to understand what they're where saying. So after
basically purging and then installing most of the service packages, I'm
now down to a measly 0.53 in load :D

I'm pretty sure that means I have a reasonably solid base to build on.
--
Imagine you're an idiot and then imagine you're in
the government. Oh, sorry. Now I'm repeating myself