[PKG-Openstack-devel] Debconf duplication of information

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Tue Jun 7 21:58:48 UTC 2016

I just noticed (remembered) that I got the same question
several time, for the different packages.

On the control node, I was to preoccupied with other things
(like actually get it to work/install correctly :). But
on my first Compute (I'm actually starting to get this! :),
I only want one (two if possible - they at least install
on the same host) service. The Nova..

My Apt is configured to only ask for questions above
whatever level is the default (never changed it - maybe
I should). That meant that it (preinst script etc) couldn't
connect to the MySQL server (to create the DB), Keystone (to
register the service) etc, because it assumed localhost.

Fair enough, I just ran

	dpkg-reconfigure --force -plow

on those nova packages.

However, when I then a couple of hours later tried install
the magnum packages (just to see if it works - and they at
least don't Conflicts), same problem!

It would be nice if the different packages could use
common debconf values.

bladeA03b:~# debconf-get-selections | egrep '^nova|^magnum' | grep '/IP' | sort
magnum-common   magnum-common/mysql/method      select  TCP/IP
magnum-common   magnum-common/pgsql/method      select  TCP/IP
nova-api        nova-api/mysql/method   select  TCP/IP
nova-api        nova-api/pgsql/method   select  TCP/IP
nova-common     nova-common/mysql/method        select  TCP/IP
nova-common     nova-common/pgsql/method        select  TCP/IP
bladeA03b:~# debconf-get-selections | egrep '^nova|^magnum' | grep '/auth-host' | sort
magnum-common   magnum/auth-host        string  10.0.4.1
nova-common     nova/auth-host  string  10.0.4.1
[etc, etc for other values]

Does it not make more sense if the values is using the "openstack"
application name instead?

Such as

	openstack	auth-host	string	10.0.4.1

or should that be:

	openstack	openstack/auth-host	string	10.0.4.1

?

I know that the "correct" way is to put one service on one host
(and then duplicate that host "in-finitum"), but who have that
much resources?! In real life? A minute few I gather, so would
it not make more sense to support the "large majority"?

If nothing else, it would make it easier to seed this - one can
(re)use the same debconf seed file on all hosts.
--
Michael Jackson is not going to buried or cremated
but recycled into shopping bags so he can remain white,