[PKG-Openstack-devel] Watcher service package name

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jun 8 08:29:49 UTC 2016

On 06/08/2016 09:48 AM, James Page wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 at 08:17 Daniel Pawlik <daniel.pawlik at corp.ovh.com
> <mailto:daniel.pawlik at corp.ovh.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>     I'm creating a puppet-watcher module for watcher service
>     (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Watcher) and I need to add a name of
>     future package for RedHat and Debian.  So I want to ask which Openstack
>     group is naming Debian package names for Openstack services?
>     If you are doing this, can you tell me which name do you want to set
>     because as I see python-watcher is in use?
>

>  Debian packages would be named according to Debian policies; so I would
> expect a python-watcher + watcher-* packages for the control plane services.
>
> I see https://pypi.python.org/pypi/watcher  but that's not packaged for
> Debian or Ubuntu. As courtesy and to avoid conflicting you might want to
> not name your top-level module 'watcher' (or we might want to consider a
> different name for the project).  This would make the make python
> package python-<modulename> for example.  But the puppet module should
> be interested in the watcher-* packages anyway IMHO.
>
> Hope that helps

Hi,

I see your mail is @corp.ovh.com. Is this project initiative driven by
OVH? If so, it's super nice news to see contribution from OVH! :)

As for the name, I agree with James that probably, it'd be nice to
reconsider its name, which is kind of generic, and already in use.

FYI, for Trove, we had to use "openstack-trove" as source package name,
as "trove" was already in use in the Debian archive. Lucky, this isn't a
python package that's in the archive, so it was fine for the binary
packages, however, there's also a trove module in PyPi which would
conflict if one was interested in it. That's a bit frustrating.