[PKG-Openstack-devel] Upgrading Openstack from Icehouse to Juno (and beyond) on Debian jessie?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun May 8 12:55:08 UTC 2016

On 05/08/2016 04:22 AM, Ben Rosser wrote:
> Hi openstack-devel@,
>
> Apologies if this isn't the right place for this question; please let me
> know if there is better place to ask.
>
> We've been running Icehouse (the latest version of Openstack packaged in
> Debian jessie) for some time now, and are starting to wonder how we'll
> go about upgrading-- since Icehouse is now EOL upstream.
>
> The jessie-backports tree contains Liberty. I've been apprehensive about
> doing an Openstack upgrade at all, and it seems like, generally, it'd be
> preferable to upgrade only from major version to major version? I also
> have no idea if Liberty still has the relevant database migrations to
> upgrade from Icehouse.
>
> I found https://wiki.debian.org/OpenStackHowto/Upgrades on the debian
> wiki, which pointed me to the following package repositories:
> http://archive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/. I noticed "juno",
> "juno-backports", and "jessie-juno-backports" trees, and figured that
> between them I should be able to incrementally upgrade, first to Juno,
> then to Kilo, and then Liberty.
>
> However, I quickly realized that "juno" and "juno-backports" are for
> *wheezy*, not jessie. And with jessie-backports alone, apt was not
> willing to do a full update:

>   ipset ipvsadm keepalived libipset3 libnl-genl-3-200 python-kazoo
> python-keystonemiddleware python-netifaces python-oslo.db
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   cinder-api cinder-common cinder-scheduler cinder-volume glance
> glance-api glance-common glance-registry keystone nova-api nova-cert
> nova-common nova-conductor nova-consoleauth nova-consoleproxy
> nova-scheduler openstack-dashboard
>   neutron-common neutron-dhcp-agent neutron-l3-agent
> neutron-metadata-agent neutron-plugin-linuxbridge-agent neutron-server
> openstack-dashboard-apache python-cinderclient python-glanceclient
> python-heatclient python-keystoneclient python-neutron
> python-openstack-auth
>   python-oslo.config python-oslo.i18n python-oslo.messaging
> python-oslo.rootwrap python-oslo.utils python-pycadf python-stevedore
> python-taskflow
> 21 upgraded, 9 newly installed, 0 to remove and 17 not upgraded.
>
> For example, there was an unmet dependency on python-cinder that could
> not be satisfied because:
>
>  python-cinder : Depends: python-eventlet (>= 0.15.1) but 0.13.0-2 is to
> be installed
>
> And python-eventlet is the latest version.

You also need to add the "juno-backports" repository. starting on Kilo,
I added explicitly "jessie" in front and "-nochange" to express the fact
I didn't touch these packages, and just did a backport, so starting from
Kilo, you'll need both: jessie-kilo-backports-nochange and
jessie-kilo-backports.

> I'm not sure if I should be filing a bug against Debian (since these are
> technically out-of-tree packages?)

Until these are stored in official Debian repositories (ie: Bikesheds),
please don't fill bugs for this type of outdated release of OpenStack.

> Is jessie-juno-backports not, alone, sufficient
> to install Openstack Juno on Debian Jessie?

As I wrote above, it's not.

> Do I need to pull packages in from jessie-backports itself

Only do that for Liberty itself, it may mess-up any other release of
OpenStack otherwise.

> and if so, what packages? I don't
> suppose there's documentation anywhere that I should be following?

Unfortunately, my efforts to contribute to docs.openstack.org haven't
been very rewarding (and sometimes, things went even backward). But I
don't give-up on that. Contributions welcome there as well.