[PKG-Openstack-devel] Hypervisor for Openstack?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon May 30 14:14:58 UTC 2016

On 05/30/2016 01:05 PM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> On May 30, 2016, at 10:07 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> On 05/28/2016 08:37 PM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
>>> So could someone please share some insight on how I can/should solve
>>> the issue of having the possibility to run both Containers and "real
>>> VMs", preferably on the same host, managed by nova-compute.
>>
>> This is not supported upstream. A single nova-compute can only manage
>> one type of instance (ie: bare-metal, Qemu, KVM, etc.).
>
> Dang! That's a surprise!!
>
> Is there a reason why? Starting a VM is (should be) just "a simple API
> call".. ?

Maybe just because nobody cares about the feature. Deploying a cloud
with a single compute would be silly (because really, not needed, you
could manage easier with only virtualization). If you build multiple
compute, then it makes sense to have them specialized in one type of
hypervisor.

> Talking about Docker, I do see it referenced in the Nova code,
> but I'm unsure what that means.. Does Docker work with Openstack,

As much as I know, the Docker plugin has been abandoned.

> I've had a quite heated discussion with my mates on Saturday that's
> been doing this at my previous work (sometimes I'm slow to "get it" :),
> and it turns out that I can/should use KVM for the "real" VMs.
>
> It's not any where near as good as Virtualbox (or even VMware)

In what way? KVM has even more feature than VBox or VMWare...