[PKG-Openstack-devel] Hypervisor for Openstack?

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue May 31 07:29:33 UTC 2016

On 05/30/2016 05:10 PM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> On May 30, 2016, at 3:14 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>>> Is there a reason why? Starting a VM is (should be) just "a simple API
>>> call".. ?
>>
>> Deploying a cloud with a single compute would be silly (because really,
>> not needed, you could manage easier with only virtualization). If you
>> build multiple compute, then it makes sense to have them specialized in
>> one type of hypervisor.
>
> That I don't understand.. If a compute could be fully utilized and not
> "run empty", that is more saved electricity and cooling..
>
> And specialized? Nova already know how to do all that, it already have
> all the code necessary. It will be no more "specialized" one way or
> the other..

I haven't written it wouldn't be useful, or that anyone refused this
functionality. It's just that nobody contributed it. It has been
discussed multiple times in the mailing list that it would be very
useful for nova-compute to support more than one hypervistor at a time,
but nobody seem to care enough to make the effort to implement it.

>> As much as I know, the Docker plugin has been abandoned.
>
> Is there a compatibility matrix that's actually up-to-date and reflect
> the current reality?

Probably somewhere in wiki.openstack.org, yes.

>> In what way? KVM has even more feature than VBox or VMWare…
>
> I find that hard to believe, but it's also not really relevant.
> KVM will do what I need it to do just fine, so I'm perfectly
> happy with that. I would do it ten years ago, but VB was just
> so much easier and smarter than KVM at the time. If KVM have
> caught up (and surpassed), that's even better!

I believe it did, and here you wont care about the (poor) GUI that there
is for KVM.

> So if LXC isn't really supported and neither is Docker, what other
> container system is there that OS supports?

Your best bet is still LXC with what Canonical wrote, as they seem to
care a lot for it and will enhance it over time. If it's not fully ready
today, it will "soon".