[PKG-Openstack-devel] Changes I have in mind for the python-rtslib-fb package in Debian

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Oct 8 21:58:28 UTC 2016

On 10/08/2016 06:50 PM, Christophe Vu-Brugier wrote:
> OK. You named this package "targetctl" in your change request, right?

Yes. Is that fine for you?

>>> I completely agree with this.
>>
>> I don't. I prefer to let our user choose, and continue using
>> update-alternatives.
>
> My primary concern was the Python 3 package depending on the Python 2
> package. You just fixed it in your change request.
>
> Thinking more about it, I am not really annoyed by the
> update-alternatives. I see some value in letting our users choose.
> Also, since python-cinder is currently a Python 2 package, it would
> sound strange to make it depend on the "targetctl" Python 3 package I
> proposed.

Exactly. However, this may change in the near future, as OpenStack is
slowly taking the Py3 direction. There's only a few project that don't
have full Py3 support (ie: nova and swift), but they are supposed to fix
that in the next cycle.

> Speaking of python-cinder, I remember that an OpenStack developer
> contributed patches to make rtslib-fb compatible with Python 3 using
> the "six" library.
>
>   https://github.com/open-iscsi/rtslib-fb/pull/62#issuecomment-104704820
>
> Do you see the python-cinder package transition to Python 3 in Debian
> in the foreseeable future? I am just curious...

I'd say that in 6 months to a year, everything in OpenStack will be able
to run with Python3. I plan to support both at the packaging level for a
while, and then when everything works, completely remove Python 2
everywhere.

> Invoking `modprobe configfs` before testing for /sys/kernel/config
> being a directory in mountkernfs.sh allows to mount configfs as
> expected. I am not sure it is the proper fix and I will report this to
> the initscripts maintainers.

You'll still have a race condition. IMO, the correct way is to poll for
/sys/kernel/config after loading the kernel module.

>> [1] https://review.openstack.org/383714

Should I wait for your approval for this change request, or do you think
I should go ahead?