[PKG-Openstack-devel] Migration of packaging development workflow to OpenStack project

Corey Bryant corey.bryant at canonical.com
Tue Sep 6 13:16:27 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 8:48 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> [...]
> CI, as voting (or not) checks.
>
> > TBH whether pkg-openstack moves its dev process under git/gerrit or not
> > does not impact Ubuntu hugely anyway; the project was setup to be
> > loosely couple with Debian, so delta could be maintained where it was
> > felt it was important still;  I'm just concerned that we create a third
> > source of packaging truth, this may confuse contributors and users more,
> > even if it enables them to contribute more easily. There is no
> > guarantee that a change accepted into the OpenStack packaging
> > repositories will make it directly into either Debian or Ubuntu, as both
> > distro's may have to flex around other distro-centric concerns.
>
> How is this different from a git commit in Alioth? IMO, that's the exact
> same problem: there's no guarantee that a commit on Alioth is going to
> be uploaded. It's just Canonical's team and other PKG OpenStack
> contributors that are doing the work.
>
> At present moment, the packaging on OpenStack infra is what we've done
> until Newton b2. There's no new commits, except in openstack-pkg-tools,
> but that is contained in the build-tools/pkgos-infra-* scripts which are
> used *only* for the setup of the build system in infra. I do intend to
> upload to Debian all changes I'll do in Gerrit. We have to establish a
> workflow for it. In fact, we haven't defined a workflow for what we've
> done so far in Alioth, so it'd be good if we did, explicitly, this time,
> rather than just instinctively.
>
> Another thing is that by uploading to Debian, we also receive
> archive-wide tests, like full package rebuilds, and FTBFS reports. So
> that's really worth it too.
>
> > I've made my views clear; however I'm also just one person with the
> > team, and if the pkg-openstack team as a whole feel that this is the
> > right move to make, I'm not going to be the fly in the ointment; we are
> > a team within Debian , not a dictatorship after all!
> >
> > I'm just concerned that there is a ot of implicit consent being assumed
> > right now, and that does not feel right.
>
> Let's consider who contributed (irc nicks in brackets):
> - Ondrej (onovy)
> - Gustavo (gfa)
> - Ivan Udovichenko (tlbr)
> - Igor Yozhikov (igorYozhikov)
> - Daniil (not sure what's his Freenode/OFTC nick...)
> - Corey (coreycb)
> - David (ddellav)
> - You (jamespage)
> - Me (zigo)
>
> Let's consider everyone, one at a time, then.
>
> - Gustavo isn't contributing much these days, only to openstackclient.
> Even if I'm sorry about it, I don't think we should put the focus on his
> opinion. Gustavo, feel free to express yourself anyway.
>
> - Ondrej already expressed that he's happy about the move.
>
> - Ivan, Daniil and myself are *very much* for the move.
>
> So the only remaining people would be Canonical server team. So far, you
> were the only person that expressed an opinion. I'd really like reading

For my work personally, this is a step backwards.  If I have to get a +2 on
every package change I make, it's going to slow down my workflow
significantly.  For example there are many times during the cycle where we
sprint on openstack dependencies, and it's normal to get 10-20 packages
pushed/uploaded in a day and then move on to the next task.  If I have to
wait on +2's for all those deps now, then I'm moving backward and this is
slowing down my workflow.

My workflow goes from:

1) clone repo
2) make change
3) push repo
4) upload

1) clone repo
2) make change
3) initiate review
4) ping core dev for +2
5) wait for merge
6) possibly repeat steps 4+5
7) upload

> Then, there's all other contributors, interested in a single project,
> like this person today on IRC, about Magnum, the Melanox guys, etc. All
> of them were either happy about such a move, or didn't express any opinion.
>
> > AFAICT this is the first time the move has been discussed directly on
> > pkg-openstack; I appreciate that we've has some conversations at the
> > OpenStack summits and on the openstack-dev ML, but it feels like the
> > proposed processes should have been formally proposed on *this* ML as
> > well so that as a team we can explicitly decide on the way we want to
> > take development forward.
> >
> > I hope that clarifies my position and the intent of my initial email.
>
> Thanks for opening the topic if you thought it was needed. I didn't
> think it was, probably because I was too excited about the idea.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Regards,
Corey