[PKG-Openstack-devel] Static uid/gid allocations for nova/cinder/glance users

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Dec 13 14:16:07 UTC 2017

On 12/12/2017 01:13 PM, James Page wrote:
> Bug reference:
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/884178
>
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 at 11:56 James Page <james.page at canonical.com
> <mailto:james.page at canonical.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All
>
>     A number of OpenStack storage integration's rely on shared file
>     systems (GPFS being my case in point at the moment - see [0]).  As a
>     result any inconsistency between deployed machines in the uid/gid
>     allocation of the nova, glance and cinder users and groups results
>     in some general uglyness with permissions on the shared file systems
>     being used.
>
>     I'll file a bug to request UID/GID reservations for these users and
>     groups for Debian and Ubuntu (base-passwd is aligned across the two
>     distros).  Obviously up to the Debian OpenStack maintainers for
>     nova, glance and cinder if they which to use these, but I felt it
>     courteous to a least let you know!
>
>     Cheers
>
>     James
>

>     [0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glance/+bug/1657202

FYI, I uploaded Nova, Cinder and Glance with the UID/GID allocation
taken into account.

Thanks James for this valuable work.

One thing though: are the above 3 services the only one really needing
such allocation? What about the other services? I suppose the 3 you
selected have file ownership which needs to be the same on all of the
cluster, but could you explain why?