[PKG-Openstack-devel] Improving the infra CI/CD for Deb packaging

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Sun Feb 26 14:27:58 UTC 2017

On 02/26/2017 05:19 AM, Ondrej Novy wrote:

> Is there anyone else in this list who agrees with Thomas about "big fat"
> commits is better?

My focus at the moment is on getting the system working, I'm happy to
talk about improving it later.

In general, I prefer small commits. But, in general I also prefer having
a working CI/CD system, and this one only works when each commit results
in a buildable package. That doesn't technically force the commits to be
large, you could have a lot of fake package version numbers that get
edited out of the final changelog. But, requiring each commit to be
buildable does impact the commit workflow, there's no question about that.

We have the option to modify the CI/CD system over time, but need to do
it in an integrated way. We also have the option to move out of CI/CD,
or move to a different CI/CD, but at a high level, it makes a lot of
sense to build and test packages for OpenStack in a way that's
integrated with OpenStack's CI/CD. It makes less sense for general
Python dependencies for OpenStack, but that's another conversation.

There are just a lot of factors to weigh, and it isn't something we're
going to decide in a day.

Allison