[PKG-Openstack-devel] Status?

Ondrej Novy novy at ondrej.org
Mon Jul 10 14:27:49 UTC 2017

> IAs I wrote previously, moving packages to other team wont help if nobody
> is volunteering for the maintenance. Also, anyone can join the OpenStack
> PKG team. The only thing will be that you'll be forced into using
> git-dpm, which everyone recognize as super bad. So what are you trying
> to achieve here?

me != everyone. :) I don't have problem with git-dpm. And it looks like
DPMT is moving towards gbp pq too.

For me it was (is) much simpler to maintain packages inside DPMT. Git flow
is straight forward, there are people which are sponsoring uploads (p1otr,
matt, ...), community is big enough to help. And using pybuild is simple.

And i think all wide-useable python libs should be in DPMT, because it
makes sense to have this things in one place.

Some people can have problems with maintaining packages in OS, because they
don't understand OpenStack and OS-pkg tools. But they know Python, and know
pybuild. Community around DPMT+pybuild si much bigger than around
openstack-pkg-tools.

>   * create brand new repositories in alioth from current version in
> >     Debian Archive with "gbp pq" + pristine-tar layout, compare with
> >     current repository states in Gerrit
>
> The issue with pristine tar, is that, from upstream, they contain the
> AUTHOR file, which is of no interest (we care who is the copyright
> holder, not the authorship), and the huge changelog based on git
> history. I've been already flamed by the FTP masters because small
> packages like nova-compute-* became insanely huge (ie: megs instead of
> kbytes). So, you'll have to upload modified +dfsg tarballs, which
> completely defeat the purpose of using pristine-tar. That with the other
> issue that pristine-tar is by design broken (because tar doesn't produce
> the same output from version to version, and same for XZ).

+dfsg repack with pristine-tar is simple and working fine (even with
uscan). Dfsg repacking with current layout is much harder and in Gerrit
it's not possible at all (currently).
pristine-tar can produce same output (it's purpose of pristine-tar), it's
used by Ubuntu and they say: No problems at all. It's used by DPMT: No
problems at all.

And i don't see point why we can't have gzipped version of CHANGELOG and
AUTHORs file in /usr/share/doc/. I'm explicitly adding them to my packages.
Can you point me to "megabytes" sized changelog in upstream git please?

So, why not keeping the workflow we had before switching to infra?

because 'git archive' can't reproduce bit by bit same tarball. I want to
use "uscan" with GPG signature check. That's much safer way.

You are saying pristine-tar is broken, but current flow is broken much
more. We can't reproducible create original tarball.

> >   * use one branch per Debian release, don't try to have "more supported
> >     version of OS in Debian stable"
>
> That you do not wish to support each and every release of OpenStack in
> Debian is one thing, but then you must at least provide an installable
> version so that users have an upgrade path. And then, one branch per
> OpenStack release is mandatory.

from Debian POV: It should be possible to upgrade from old-stable to
stable. Version diff between old-stable and stable will always be > 1. So
we need to found other solution for upgrades. Solution is not to create
unofficial OS repository with intermediate versions just for upgrades.

Though I would strongly suggest that if you want to maintain OpenStack
> seriously in Debian, you do package each and every version of OpenStack,
> and if possible very beta release as well. Otherwise, what will happen
> is what is happening right now: loads of RC bugs get filled, because the
> Python suite evolves (Django 1.10, Python 3.6, etc) and you got to stay
> current.

I agree we should support every new version in Debian. Periodically upgrade
version in unstable and fix bugs of older releases in stable.

What I suggest to have is:

   - newest version of OS in unstable+testing
   - fix bugs in released distro version of OS in stable / old-stable
   - create backports of newest version of OS from testing to
   stable-backports

All of this in official Debian repositories.

And don't have this:

   - support older versions of OS in unstable+testing
   - support older versions (other than released with that distro) of OS in
   stable

Thank you.

--
Best regards
 Ondřej Nový

Email: novy at ondrej.org
PGP: 3D98 3C52 EB85 980C 46A5  6090 3573 1255 9D1E 064B