[PKG-Openstack-devel] Status?

Ondrej Novy novy at ondrej.org
Thu Jul 13 20:12:31 UTC 2017

> What your proposing is even worse than what I thought. Not only you wont
> have a "build on each commit" type of thing (which I setup using Jenkins
> and a receive hook), now you're even proposing to blindly upload without
> even trying to build first!!! So no, "source-only" uploads isn't a
> satisfying answer here, IMO.

OMG Thomas, please be constructive! I DIDN'T wrote blindly upload without
trying to build. Of course you need to build package locally, test it and
then do source-only upload.

Every package/change i done for OpenStack I built myself locally and then I
uploaded them. I never used binary packages build by Jenkins. So, I don't
need CI now.

Yes we will not have "build on each commit". But now we have "fail after
every commit". What is better? This discussion is completely useless. Yes,
you have better solution with CI/CD and tempest. But it's not working now
and nobody is going to take care of it. It's useless to compare your not
working better solution with my. I'm trying to found "any working solution".

> On what hardware will this run? My last setup was with PXE booting a
> Debian live system on which a Jenkins job was running a script using
> ssh. The script was using openstack-deploy to setup an all-in-one node.
> A VM would work, provided there's no MAC address filtering, and if
> there's enough RAM, plus if you can "reset" it on each tempest job run.

we will see. I don't have answer for all questions now. But we need to
start somewhere. tempest, CI, etc. is not must have. Many many package
maintainers live without them.

> I see no other way but to ask DSA for a VM here. The normal jenkins VMs
> wont have enough RAM to run OpenStack, unfortunately.

yep, that can be one solution, but talk about it in future.

Let's finalize it. I'm volunteering to take care of team but I want to try
it my way. You done it different way. I don't want to do it your way.

We have only few choices now

   1. try my solution
   2. take care about packages yourself - you stated you can't/don't want
   3. found someone which are going to do it your way - anyone?

I don't want to write long flames with hates. I have way how I think it
will work. You think it will not. We can try it, or do nothing. If we will
do nothing, many packages will be AUTORMed if you are not going to take
care of them.

--
Best regards
 Ondřej Nový

Email: novy at ondrej.org
PGP: 3D98 3C52 EB85 980C 46A5  6090 3573 1255 9D1E 064B