[PKG-Openstack-devel] Status?

Ondrej Novy novy at ondrej.org
Fri Jul 14 10:00:51 UTC 2017

> Then I fail to understand why you're talking about source-only upload
> when I was talking about setting-up a CI. This makes no sense. Could you
> explain how the 2 are related?

I think we are completely lost in this discussion.

It's simple, what I'm saying:

   1. don't have CI __now__
   2. don't have tempest __now__

Have both later.

I was talking about setting-up a recieved hook type of CI, not using
> what I've setup on OpenStack infra, since you wrote you don't want to
> use it anymore. Now, you're complaining that the OpenStack infra is
> failing (do I understand this bit correctly?), though why should I
> attempt to fix the sources.list (which is a simple commit), if you're
> not going to use it anyway?

I'm complaining that OS infra is failing and nobody is going to fix it and
take care of it in future.

I'm fine to have CI with alioth Git, later. Difference is simple: If
optional CI fails, we can work on packages even without it. If CI fails
now, development is stopped. And it's broken now (for > 6 weeks now).

I do not agree with you at all here. It is my point of view that running
> tempest and validating packages is a must have for OpenStack. On each
> and every release, I have seen failure to functional test OpenStack, and
> running tempest was super helpful. Not doing any type of functional
> testing is a huge regression, which would lead me to advise against
> using OpenStack in Debian if someone asks.

Jessie was released without tempest check. I know it's not ideal and not
perfect, but it's better than nothing.
BTW: We don't have tempest now in OS infra. We have only "build check".
Same, as anybody must do before upload - build package.

Compare it:

   1. tempest - we don't have it now, we will don't have it in near future
   2. tests run during build - we have now in CI and we will run them
   before upload even without CI (when building package before upload)

Sounds same?

> Also, I don't think you can compare OpenStack with other packages. It's
> quite unique in Debian to have such a large amount of packages for a
> single software solution, and I don't know anything else that interact
> with so many parts of the system (including, but not limited to: KVM,
> Qemu, libvirt, rabbitmq-server, Maria/MySQL server, networking bridges,
> etc.).

Xorg, kernel, systemd, dbus for example?

For me OS packages is same as other Debian packages and I want to work with
them same as with other packages.

If not using an automatic deployment of OpenStack and tempest, how will
> you make sure that the next release is really working? I see only a
> single other way: following the install-guide (which may, at the same
> time, provide you an opportunity to maintain it) and manually install
> OpenStack, then manually run tempest. This could work, but would need a
> lot more time than using the automation already in place.

I want to use/run tempest, but later.

> Probably Debconf would be a good place/time to discuss it with DSA.

yep, I already arranged sprint at DebConf, will you be there?

> I do not think that there's my way vs your way. I don't think anyone can
> even remotely contest the advantage of functional testing. The only
> issue is how, and if there's enough resources to do it.

As i sad: functional testing is nice, but not must-have.

The reason why I decide to stop doing the OpenStack packaging in Debian,
> is because I cannot be fulltime on it, and I saw that there's not enough
> contributor. Therefore, my thinking is that quality cannot be at the
> level I think it should be. If you can't, or don't want to run tempest
> and functional test packages, then I would advise you to not attempt to
> continue the packaging of OpenStack in Debian as well. There's nothing
> personal here, and nothing about your skills (you are a very skilled
> person).

I can't tempest a functional test packages now, but I'm open to have it
later.

TBH, my motivation is to have working Git for packages I'm in uploader
field. Do you have any problem with my suggestions for this group of OS
packages?

--
Best regards
 Ondřej Nový

Email: novy at ondrej.org
PGP: 3D98 3C52 EB85 980C 46A5  6090 3573 1255 9D1E 064B