[PKG-Openstack-devel] Packaging OpenStack command line clients

David Rabel rabel at b1-systems.de
Tue Mar 7 20:16:22 UTC 2017

On 04.03.2017 01:50, Allison Randal wrote:
> On 03/01/2017 06:31 AM, David Rabel wrote:
>> More on the python-openstackclient. As I understand it has some
>> dependencies on project-specific clients. So those would be interesting,
>> too.
>
> Okay, great! So, the best place for you to start is to checkout out the
> git repository for Debian packaging of python-openstackclient. The clone
> path is provided at the bottom of the page:
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/deb-python-openstackclient
>
> Once you've checked it out, switch to the branch named "debian/newton",
> and then take a look at the contents of the top-level directory named
> "debian/" to start getting familiar with the types of files involved in
> Debian packaging.

I am familiar with some debian packaging basics. I started packaging a
few months ago.

I still have a few questions:

Why is there a debian/newton branch? I thought, the command line clients
have a different release cycle than the main openstack components.

postrm and prerm do nearly the same thing. Wouldn't one of them be enough?

I don't understand all of the adjustments to debian/rules. Where can I
get information on pkgos-.. commands? Why are there commands that are
not supposed to run?

> And, if you aren't familiar with contributing to OpenStack repositories,
> then take a quick skim through:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html

I'm not too experienced, but I already contributed a few commits.

> That's enough to start. Feel free to ask any questions, and ping when
> you're ready for the next level of information. There are more advanced
> resources as you get further in, but I don't want to overwhelm with too
> much just at the beginning. :)

So I guess this is my ping for the next level of information. :)

Thank you very much for your detailed help!

Yours
  David

--
David Rabel