[PKG-Openstack-devel] Packaging OpenStack command line clients

David Rabel rabel at b1-systems.de
Mon Mar 13 08:50:08 UTC 2017

Hi Thomas,

thank you very much!

On 07.03.2017 23:24, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 03/07/2017 09:16 PM, David Rabel wrote:
>> On 04.03.2017 01:50, Allison Randal wrote:
>> I still have a few questions:
>>
>> Why is there a debian/newton branch? I thought, the command line clients
>> have a different release cycle than the main openstack components.
>
> What's true, is that clients should always be able to be backward
> compatible (ie: the last version of a client should be able to work with
> any release of OpenStack). Though on each release of OpenStack, the
> versions are increasing, and clients gets release. In reality, *we do*
> need such branching, also because clients are tight to specific versions
> of oslo libs and such.

As I understand there are additional releases of the command line
clients between the main OpenStack releases. We could package those
versions as well, couldn't we?
For example Ocata version of python-openstackclient is 3.8.1 , but
current version is already 3.9.0 . So could we package both?

So, I think I do understand what's happening in debian/ now (except for
some details maybe). Could I just go for it and try to package 3.8.1?

Maybe one more question regarding the branches:
Master contains upstream sources?
stable/... also contain upstream sources?
Afaiu stable/ocata p.e. is not only one version, but everything from
3.3.0 to 3.8.1 . Is that right?
Are master and stable/... cloned from the upstream sources? How to bump
them?
debian/... seems to contain the packaging then. Here again: debian/ocata
for example would not have to contain only one version, but everything
from 3.3.0 to 3.8.1 ?

So to start I would have to pull master and stable/ocata from the
upstream repo?
Then merge 3.8.1 from stable/ocata to debian/ocata and start packaging
there. Right?

If you have additional information, please let me know.

Also please let me know what is the preferred workflow concerning the
git repository.

Yours
  David

--