[PKG-Openstack-devel] Please don't remove gbp.conf from openstack packaging repos

Corey Bryant corey.bryant at canonical.com
Mon Nov 6 22:02:36 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 4:05 PM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> On 11/06/2017 07:10 AM, Allison Randal wrote:
> >

> > On 6 November 2017 06:23:12 GMT+11:00, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Don't get me wrong, I appreciate contribution, and it's great if you
> >> want to contribute. But indeed, to me, insisting about gbp.conf,
> >> pristine-tar, *AND* this timing, it only feels like it's helping
> >> Ubuntu,
> >> not Debian. Hoping this may change in the (near) future: maybe
> >> Canonical's team will confirm they want to release Queens with us?
> >
> > Thomas, this attitude is seriously unhelpful. Ubuntu has offered that
> you could use their work, multiple times, even before you started packaging
> OpenStack. You decided to do it in your own weirdly unmaintainable way,
> that no one wants to touch. Stop pretending that Ubuntu contributors are
> the problem. *You* are the problem.
> >
> > Allison
>
> Allison,
>
> What I'm going to write below are only statements. It's pure facts, so
> there's nothing to take personally.
>
> During the OpenStack sprint in Montreal, we took a number of decisions,
> which influenced the way I did the packaging. Here's a few of them,
> related to the discussion. Each decision had thoughts behind, and they
> were not taken lightly.
>
> * We decided that we would continue to use a git tag workflow, because
> it helps packaging faster, removes the artifacts which we don't want in
> the packaging (egg-info, upstream changelog, AUTHORS file), and is very
> helpful to cherry-pick patches or package a specific git tag.
>
> It was mentioned that pristine-tar is broken anyway, not producing
> always the same tarball. The recent REJECTED upload of Alembic, for
> which I forwarded dak's message to the list, is yet another example of
> that brokenness. The creator of pristine-tar and its current maintainers
> also agree: pristine-tar is broken by design, and its biggest benefit
> (ie: skipping the boring task of downloading existing orig tarball from
> the Debian archive before building) sometimes fail. So pristine-tar,
> unfortunately, doesn't bring any improvement to the build workflow.
>
> * To improve the workflow, and also reduce the workload, we decided to
> completely remove the debian/gbp.conf file. This file is not needed,
> because the gbp.conf file is only mandatory when using pristine-tar. By
> default, pristine-tar is set to false by default. Reducing the amount of
> work on such a large set of packages really is hepful, and removing
> gbp.conf goes that direction. Also, not everyone uses gbp (Daniel,
> for example, prefers to use sbuild directly).
>
> The proposed gbp.conf from Canonical, even if we wanted to add it,
> wouldn't work for us because:
> - It sets using master branch and we use debian/pike (explained above)
> - It sets pristine-tar = true, but we don't use pristine-tar
>
> In both cases, it would break us. Everything else can be set either in
> [...]

Hi Thomas,

It's always great to hear from you.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't continue to throw me and my employer under
the bus.

We've gone above and beyond to collaborate with you. Prior to this past
year we aligned with Debian as much as possible on OpenStack dependencies.
I spent a significant amount of time a few cycles back dropping any delta
from Ubuntu dependencies to align with Debian and we were contributing
directly to alioth. Then you decided to move all of the Debian OpenStack
packages out of alioth and work on packages in gerrit. I found the workflow
to be far too slow, and it just didn't make sense for us, so we went back
to contributing directly to Ubuntu. Unfortunately we have different
strategies with our packages which makes collaboration difficult.
pristine-tar has worked out well for us. Debian development is done in
experimental and makes sync/merge process difficult for us (we finished
pike 2 months ago). We don't prompt users with debconf.

I'm not sure what else to say. I may not reply to your next reply because I
can't spend too many cycles on this. It's the same thing over and over and
I need to focus on my work.

Thanks,
Corey