[PKG-Openstack-devel] Helping with OpenStack packaging

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Sep 2 19:10:59 UTC 2017

On 08/30/2017 10:25 PM, Geoffrey Thomas wrote:
> Hi all! I met some of you at the OpenStack BoF during Debconf and I now
> have a bunch of time to help with packaging. As I mentioned I'm pretty
> new to OpenStack but much less new to Debian packaging.
>
> 1. Is someone already working on the packages that FTBFS with Python 3.6,
> or should I start doing that?

What currently needs to be done is not that. It's packaging Pike. For
that, one should continue the work I've started on packaging the pike
version of all Oslo libraries, then do the clients, then services. Doing
so, you may encounter some Python 3.6 build issues which you shall fix.

I've got to admit that I'm very disappointed that absolutely nobody
worked on the Pike packaging but me. The only thing we got from the
Debconf17 sprint is shuffling the Git repository path, destroying what I
worked on OpenStack infra, and ... no packaging work at all. That's
maximum frustration on my side. I hope this will change soon enough,
otherwise the only path will be to actually remove OpenStack form Sid. :/

> 2. What's a good time to find people on IRC? (I'm generally available
> during the US/Eastern work day)

Mostly everyone is using bouncers, so anytime, just drop a few lines.
Though Daniel, Ondrej and myself are on western Europe timezone.

> 3. It looks like there's no install guide in the upstream OpenStack
> documentation for any release newer than Newton, which describes installing
> with Jessie.

All what's in the Newton install guide works well for Stretch. Just, it
was written for Jessie backport at the time or writing, but it's ok for
Stretch too.

> how do we get this reincorporated into the upstream docs?

There's no reason to reincorporated into the upstream docs unless we
have Pike (and later on Queens) packages.