[PKG-Openstack-devel] Helping with OpenStack packaging

Geoffrey Thomas Geoffrey.Thomas at twosigma.com
Sat Sep 9 14:13:20 UTC 2017

On 09/02/2017 2:11 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 08/30/2017 10:25 PM, Geoffrey Thomas wrote:
> > Hi all! I met some of you at the OpenStack BoF during Debconf and I now
> > have a bunch of time to help with packaging. As I mentioned I'm pretty
> > new to OpenStack but much less new to Debian packaging.
> >
> > 1. Is someone already working on the packages that FTBFS with Python
> 3.6,
> > or should I start doing that?
>
> What currently needs to be done is not that. It's packaging Pike. For
> that, one should continue the work I've started on packaging the pike
> version of all Oslo libraries, then do the clients, then services. Doing
> so, you may encounter some Python 3.6 build issues which you shall fix.

I have two packages I'd like review on:

1. I've pushed two commits to python-openstackdocstheme to fix doc
generation. The first reverts two upstream commits that got rid of the
built-in search, and the second one makes the built-in search actually
work (because openstackdocstheme does not inherit from layout.html in
the base Sphinx theme). We should probably upstream some version of this
commit, but I think we want to upload this now to unblock the rest of
the work, and we can do binNMUs later if needed.

2. I updated python-json-patch, a dependency of python-openstackclient
and a few others, to the latest upstream which supports Python 3.6, and
I've pushed it to DPMT git and made it align with DPMT standards to the
best of my knowledge. Is this the right thing to do, and did I do the
move right? (If so, I'll do the same thing for other generic Python
packages I need to fix, and just ask DPMT for review/sponsorship.)
The code is at
  https://anonscm.debian.org/git/python-modules/packages/python-json-patch.git
forked from 86ed5791 in OpenStack git (so `git log 86ed5791...` or something).
Should I do anything with the OpenStack git repo, e.g. push
a commit to master that includes a README saying the package moved?

After this, I think it would be worth uploading the Oslo libraries that
Thomas has already updated, with doc generation re-enabled. Since I'm
not a DD, I cannot upload these myself, so I think it makes more sense for
someone else to do the work (revert the commit to disable dh_sphinxdoc,
build, test, push to git and upload). But if it would help for me to do
these steps other than uploading, I'm happy to do that.

Also, I see there's some infrastructure in openstack-pkg-tools to do
autobuilding -- is that still operational, and if not, would it be worth
setting up something (probably outside of upstream OpenStack
infrastructure) to host an apt repository for packages in development
and backports to stable?

--
Geoffrey Thomas
geofft at twosigma.com