[PKG-Openstack-devel] Debian OpenStack and Hi

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Jan 12 13:19:09 UTC 2018

Hi David,

My response is in-line below.

On 01/12/2018 11:52 AM, David Rabel wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> how are you? I don't know if you remember me. I wanted to help OpenStack
> Debian Packaging a few months ago (I think in summer). But then I did
> not have time to follow the discussion. I just remember that there was
> some discussion about the infrastructure.

I moved everything to https://salsa.debian.org/openstack-team from
Alioth, so if you want to contribute, maybe you can start by a few pull
requests there.

> On 34c3 I met some Debian people and I'm really interested in doing some
> more Debian packaging. I just fear that OpenStack Debian packaging is a
> little bit too complicated for me.

OpenStack packaging is *not* hard, it's just big and require some kind
of commitment to it.

> If there is a working infrastructure
> I still would be interested in helping out from time to time.

The "from time to time" could be a problem if you can't schedule to help
for a new release. Otherwise, you could focus on closing bugs, there's
really enough to work on that side.

> My initial intention was to package a newer version of
> python-openstackclient, because that's the package I want to use
> directly from the Debian repos. Do you think it is possible to help out
> there?

Unfortunately, I don't think the "I want to work on this package" type
of contribution will work out. What happens, is that for each new
release, we have to package, in this order:

- All OpenStack Oslo lib (including any new/updated dependency you may
find doing so)
- All OpenStack clients (with openstackclient being the last)
- All python-os-* libs
- All services

It *must* be done in this order due to the (build) dependency tree. So
openstackclient will be done when it is time to do it.

In order to be helpful, you have to help right after the beta 3 release,
when the Oslo libraries are in freeze. Then just popup on IRC on
#debian-openstack (on OFTC), and someone can tell you at what stage we
are on the release, then you can pickup any package, and attempt to
upgrade it. Anyone working on the release should obviously be able to
help you helping.

> Is there a working packaging infrastructure and workflow at the
> moment?

Currently, we don't have automatic build with Jenkins, but we do have a
machine setup and running for Tempest functional testing. The later
being useful only at the very end of the release though.