[PKG-Openstack-devel] python-keystonemiddleware dependency in Swift & patch for O_TMPFILE

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Mar 13 11:22:38 UTC 2018

Hi Ondrej,

Yesterday evening, it seems you were not happy about my last upload of
Swift. Maybe we should try to trust each other. That's what makes good
team. I do trust your work, and I was hoping you'd do the same for me.
Also, if you dislike a change, then we can always discuss it together.

Since it doesn't feel like you trust my change, let me explain it.

When reading Swift docs, specifically this file, in the upstream source:
doc/source/install/controller-install-debian.rst

One can read that python-keystonemiddleware needs to be installed.

Moreover, running Tempest after the setup with the integration script
showed that swift-proxy was stack-dumping, with problems importing
keystonemiddleware.

While it's possible to not install keystonemiddleware if you're not
using Keystone, it has always been the policy in the OpenStack team to
add depends on all possible drivers, to simplify deployments. Moreover,
using Keystone as an auth for Swift is quite a common use case.

So I wonder why you're trying to revert my change. Could you explain? If
you don't want it to be as a hard depends, maybe at least it should be
as a recommends for swift-proxy? (I would very much prefer a depends:)

The other thing is that the unit test errors which I showed you are
real, and due to the fact that my /tmp is mounted using tmpfs. Indeed,
tmpfs doesn't support the O_TMPFILE option when opening files, which
leads to that problems. So this isn't a problem in *my* build enviroment
only. Therefore, I proposed this patch upstream:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/552093/

The thing is, even if unit tests are passing, the current patch in the
latest upload of Swift needs to be updated to that last version. Since
you seem to not like my uploads, could you do that?

Looking forward to read you,