[Openstack-devel] Which version of OpenStack should we package?

Julien Danjou acid at debian.org
Sun Nov 27 17:41:01 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 27 2011, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> What I was asking for was to have Openstack (and in this case, Nova) be
> usable *now*, so we would package only the stable version in SID. I
> believe Essex is a good candidate for Experimental right now, but not
> for SID.
>
> Now, we're stuck with OpenStack unstable being packaged in Debian, with
> no choice but to wait until next April to get something stable, and in
> the mean time, we'll be continuously packaging Essex, which will be a
> moving target with constantly new features. That's really not an idea
> situation for anyone willing to implement Openstack using our Debian
> packaging right now!

I agree in theory, but in practice one should know that Diablo is barely
usable actually, and has a lot of problem. Essex is really what the
OpenStack devs are trying to make deployable and usable in production,
so as an OpenStack users, currently it's really more interesting to
target Essex, even in sid.

--
Julien Danjou