[Openstack-devel] Moving XenAPI python modules in a separate binary

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Fri Dec 30 05:43:24 UTC 2011

On 12/30/2011 06:14 AM, Mike McClurg wrote:
> On 12/28/11, Thomas Goirand <thomas at goirand.fr> wrote:
>> Hi Mike and Jon,
>>
>> If I do this:
>> dpkg -S /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/XenAPI.py
>>
>> then I can see that the XenAPI python package is in fact xcp-xapi. This
>> is quite annoying, because I will need it when building OpenStack nova,
>> but xcp-xapi depends on the Xen hypervisor, which I don't care about
>> when building Openstack. Said in another way: I'd like to avoid having
>> to put "xcp-xapi" as Build-Depends: for nova.
>>
>> So I was wondering, would it be possible to have all python stuff
>> packaged in a separate binary, like python-xen-api or something like
>> that like python-xapi, python-xcp? (which one has your preference?)
>>

> I like the sound of 'python-xenapi', since that's what the module is
> called. 'python-xapi' would also be acceptable to me. Any other
> opinions?
>
> Mike

I think you are right, and "python-xenapi" seems to be the wisest
choice, so it matches the Import directive. I did just that.

Please pull xen-api debian branch from Alioth, it includes this change
and the debian/README.debian. It'd be cool if you could review this
README.debian file before I get to upload it to SID with the rest of the
changes.

Also, I've been working on XCP + Openstack, and nearly got it to work:
now nova-compute doesn't complain about any pluggin issue! :)

I still don't understand why though, "euca-describe-instance" returns a
"connection refused", but that is, I believe, nova related, and not XCP.

When I'm done, I'll write a howto on XCP + Openstack and put it in a
README.debian as well.

Cheers