[Openstack-devel] Adding a new tag for cloud computing (was: Announcing debtags.debian.net)

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Jan 15 18:02:09 UTC 2012

On 01/15/2012 07:28 PM, Enrico Zini wrote:
> Afaict at the moment the best that we have is admin::virtualization:
> http://debtags.debian.net/reports/taginfo/admin::virtualization

Sure, I've used that tag! The thing is, admin::virtualization may, in
some cases, have nothing to do with cloud computing, especially in the
case of cloud storage like swift (which is an object storage server with
replications, that could well be used without any virtualization, for
example for storing images or videos).

> You could help put that to the test: here's an (untested!) script
> (requires the 'tagcoll' package) that builds a report on Debian for
> Cloud using the current tags:
>
>  #!/bin/sh
>  if [ ! -e unstable-tags ]
>  then
> 	 wget http://debtags.debian.net/exports/unstable-tags
>  fi
>
>  list() {
>  	 echo
> 	 tagcoll grep -i "$1" unstable-tags
> 	 echo
>  }
>
>  echo " * Cloud computing::API client"
>  list "admin::virtualization && network::client"
>
>  echo " * Cloud computing::API server"
>  list "admin::virtualization && (network::server || web::server)"
>
>  echo " * Cloud computing::storage"
>  list "admin::virtualization && hardware::storage"
>
>  echo " * Cloud computing::server add-on"
>  list "admin::virtualization && role::plugin"
>
>  echo " * Cloud computing::devel library"
>  list "admin::virtualization && devel::library"
>
>  echo " * Cloud computing::GUI"
>  list "admin::virtualization && (interface::x11 || interface::web)"

Very interesting! Now, by reading the above, I now think it'd be really
fine to use network::client and admin:cloud-computing instead of a new
cloud facet. A Facet just for cloud might be too much. What we would
want is something that would have all cloud computing packages at once,
maybe I was over-engineering here.

So, I'd like to propose 2 new tags now:
- admin::cloud-computing
- suite::openstack

For both tags, we really have lots of packages that would be matching,
so it makes sense, IMHO. FYI, Openstack, on my last count, consist of 51
binary packages that are available in SID. Their names aren't obvious
matches, and tags would be a very nice way to be able to find all these
packages.

There's another 20 binary packages for XCP (Xen Cloud Platform), and
that is not even counting Xen itself, so we're approaching nearly 100
binary packages for doing cloud computing (there's euca2ools and few
others too...), so admin::cloud-computing makes sense IMO.

P.S: I'm not registered to debtags-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org, so
please Cc: me if you want me to reply.