[Openstack-devel] Fwd: Debian presence at OpenStack conf/summit

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Sat Feb 25 08:20:30 UTC 2012

On 02/25/2012 12:06 AM, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Ghe Rivero <ghe at debian.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   with Julien changes, and a litlle more of work in debostack, I
>> think we can make a great job to deploy Openstack in Debian. The only
>> concern I have is that Squeeze is a little outdated, and Wheezy can
>> take somo time to be released.
>
> Well, the OpenStack can be provided in the "backports" repository for
> Squeeze, if someone feeling the need.

I don't think that's a good idea to put it there, especially if you
consider that there's lots of core packages that would need to be
backported as well. That would mean getting in touch with all
maintainers, etc. I'd more would be for maintaining some unofficial
repositories, maybe on Alioth.

By the way, shall we open an openstack.debian.net on Alioth, to gather
all our stuff?

> (only 2 potential packages come to mind, that may need to be replaced
> from Squeeze: qemu and libvirt.)

And many, many, python packages, like python-webob, python-eventlet,
python-boto, python-sphinx, and many more. That is far from trivial,
because I'm suspecting that many of our (build) dependencies are lacking
a version depends.