[Openstack-devel] Would like to write OpenStack Documentation / HOW-TO for Debian

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 15:21:41 UTC 2012

Keystone: removing confusion from Debian HOW-TO

Problem 1: <admin_password> is confusing.

### Create a user with its password
# keystone-manage user add admin <admin_password>

Which password is it ? Keystone ?

Recommendation:
change from <admin_password> to <keystone_admin_password>

Problem 2: using "admin" as project name is confusing.

Looking at Debian-HOW-TO again:

# export NOVA_USERNAME=admin
# export NOVA_API_KEY=<admin_password>
# export NOVA_PROJECT_ID=admin

### Grant role admin to admin on tenant admin
# keystone-manage role grant Admin admin admin
"tenant admin", means project "admin", right ?

Recommendation:
NOVA_PROJECT_ID must be renamed from "admin" to <myproject>. (+all
related links in HOW-TO must be changed)

Problem 3. "keystone-manage" and "swift" lacks a man page, which is a
Debian Policy violation.
(bugs will be filled shortly)
(+I could easily miss a few more commands, that lack man pages...)

Problem 4: keystone-doc package is possibly broken.

Accoring to "/usr/share/doc-base/keystone-doc"
it should provide:
/usr/share/doc/keystone-doc/html/index.html
.. but it does not.

Problem 5. Troubleshooting section is lacking:

(let's start with Keystone)
I want to ensure that Keystone works, standalone (without nova, swift
and friends...), and that it successfully authenticates a user, that I
created manually. How?

So far I found some commands in official docs [2]:
Access to keystone:
curl http://0.0.0.0:5000

How-to list users ?
root at nova-server1:~#  curl -H "X-Auth-Token:999888777666"
http://localhost:5000/v2.0/users
{"itemNotFound": {"message": "Item not found.", "code": 404,
"details": "Error Details..."}}
How-to analyze the error above ?

How-to try authentication ?
Assuming I want to authenticate using: <myuser> + <mypassword>

[2] docs.openstack.org
os-identity-starter-guide-trunk.pdf

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"