[Openstack-devel] GSoC Debian OpenStack

Loic Dachary loic at enovance.com
Mon Feb 27 17:23:06 UTC 2012

Hi,

I propose to submit the following to recruit developers to help out:

http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/Projects

as instructed on

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/02/msg00007.html

We're working on a hot topic, there is a good chance this will attract students.

What do you think ?

'''Packaging OpenStack for the masses'''

* Debian GNU/Linux could become a leader in the cloud. The http://openstack.org/ cloud software suite is state of the art and Free Software. The first stable OpenStack release published in April 2012 is made of many parts: it is a challenge to package. A team was organized in 2011 to initiate the packaging work : https://alioth.debian.org/projects/openstack/ . However, it will take more than a few motivated individuals to meet the expectations of the system administrators using Debian GNU/Linux. You could be part of this unique opportunity to shape the future of cloud computing. The members of the OpenStack packaging team are experienced system administrators from Europe, North America and Asia : literally working 24/24 ;-) They invite you to join them to polish an easy to install set of packages so that anyone can deploy and use a cloud infrastructure within hours.
* '''Confirmed Mentor''': Loïc Dachary
* '''How to contact the mentor:''' loicd on irc.oftc.net#debian-openstack
* '''Confirmed co-mentors:''' Ghe Rivero and Thomas Goirand
* '''Deliverables of the project''': OpenStack packages implementing a given use case. Debian GNU/Linux should address all imaginable use cases, but it should do so in a simple and straightforward maner. An example use case is : my friends rent 5 hosted machines, we would like to pool them together into our private cloud to share resources.
* '''Desirable skills''': Debian packaging, python development, system administration, networking.
* '''What the student will learn:''' Debian GNU/Linux packaging techniques involving the most advanced system administration topics. Operate a cloud single from top to bottom using state of the art software. Contribute to one of the largest Free Software community.

--
Loïc Dachary         Chief Research Officer
// eNovance labs   http://labs.enovance.com