[Openstack-devel] MySQL debconf problem (was: non-interactive keystone solution)

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 23:44:53 UTC 2012

This problem is more Debian-wide, but also affects OpenStack.

When installing any kind of mysql application on Debian (phpbb3 or OpenStack),
it pulls only mysql-client (not the server) as a dependency, but
debconf asks whenever to use "mysql-server",
and obviously fails. ("mysql-server" is not a dependency for mysql
applications because it can be remote, like X11)

If we could solve the "debconf + mysql-server" puzzle, we could make
deployment of openstack-dashboard one apt-get away.
I don't know how-to solve it.

Introduce dependency on "mysql-server" ? (looks ugly for server
people, but good for newbies. Debian people unlikely to accept it.)
Better ideas ?

Theoretically I could attempt to write an "openstack-quick-install"
meta-package, which could pull in all dependencies (including
"mysql-server") and get a single-host OpenStack up-n-running
effortlessy.
It could be Debian's answer to Ubuntu's "devstack".

Opinions ? Ideas ?
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"