[Openstack-devel] OpenStackHowto - Removing confusing terms

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Mar 1 06:44:53 UTC 2012

On 03/01/2012 10:01 AM, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> http://wiki.debian.org/OpenStackHowto
>
> 1. Certain terms are misleading:
>
> <proxy.host> = means it is a transport to a real host (like squid vs. Apache),
> but for OpenStack "nova-api" *is* the real host.
>
> Recommendation:
> <proxy.host> should be renamed as <mgmt.host>

Why not calling a cat a cat? Just call it nova-api host...

> 2. Distribution :
> Debian GNU/Linux squeeze -- simply unsupported. (few old packages do
> exist, but not maintained and not documented)
>
> Recommendation:
> Remove mention of "squeeze".

Instead, write that we have currently no backports due to lack of time.

> 3. Too many "admin"s is confusing
> ### Create a tenant
> # keystone-manage tenant add admin
> ### Create a user with its password
> # keystone-manage user add admin <admin_password>
> ### Grant role admin to admin on tenant admin
> # keystone-manage role grant Admin admin admin
>
> Here we use the term "admin" for:
> a. project / tenant
> b. Admin role
> c. admin (user)
>
> Recommendation:
> NOVA_PROJECT_ID must be renamed from "admin" to <myproject>. (+all
> related links in HOW-TO must be changed)

Agreed, but you can make it even more obvious by writing: myprojadmin.

> NOVA_USERNAME must be renamed from "admin" to <nova_admin>

And if you do that, plus what I propose above, there's consistency.

Also, I again believe that nova-network should be setup *once*, and not
multiple times (eg: not once per nova-compute, unless you want to do
some kind of HA setup, which I believe is outside of the scope of the
wiki page we maintain). Same with nova-api. I believe this is more
important than any of the above changes.