[Openstack-devel] OpenStackHowto - Removing confusing terms

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 13:30:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
> On 03/01/2012 10:01 AM, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
>> http://wiki.debian.org/OpenStackHowto
>>
>> 1. Certain terms are misleading:
> Why not calling a cat a cat? Just call it nova-api host...

<nova-api.host> ... hmm... the main obstacle, is that nova-api is
getting installed on both <mgmt.host> and on <compute.node>.
This is why I dislike the term <nova-api.host>.

So I recommend:
<mgmt.host>

>> 2. Distribution :
>> Debian GNU/Linux squeeze -- simply unsupported.
> Instead, write that we have currently no backports due to lack of time.

OK.

>> 3. Too many "admin"s is confusing
>> Recommendation:
>> NOVA_PROJECT_ID must be renamed from "admin" to <myproject>. (+all
>> related links in HOW-TO must be changed)
>
>> NOVA_USERNAME must be renamed from "admin" to <nova_admin>
> Agreed, but you can make it even more obvious by writing: myprojadmin.

The admin is global, multi-tenant, so <myprojadmin> is still confusing.
... i.e. the admin can manage several projects.
<nova_admin> is also controversial, because this user will manage all
of O-S components and all projects, not just Nova.
For this reason the better term would be <openstack_admin>.

More things:

> Also, I again believe that nova-network should be setup *once*, and not
> multiple times (eg: not once per nova-compute, unless you want to do
> some kind of HA setup, which I believe is outside of the scope of the
> wiki page we maintain). Same with nova-api. I believe this is more
> important than any of the above changes.

My OpenStack-fu is currently limited to edit this part of our HOW-TO.
Will the setup work, if we remove "nova-api" from the compute nodes,
leaving only "nova-compute" ?
(either I need some more OpenStack experience to edit this, -or- feel
free to remove those parts yourself)

Also I'd like to add "nova-compute-kvm" to the "compute nodes".

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"