[Parl-devel] Exchange connector in debian

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Feb 2 11:15:22 UTC 2015

Hi Mechtilde,

Thank you for your interest in DebianParl,

Quoting Mechtilde (2015-02-02 11:49:01)
> I subscribed to parl-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org. So we can continue
> there.
>
> The package calendar-exchange-provider is already available in Debian
> Sid.
>
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/calendar-exchange-provider
>
> All dependencies are also available in Debian Wheezy.

If Microsoft calendaring would be served using Open Standards (for the
data itself - i.e. not only http for transport but e.g. CalDAV) then
that is good news indeed.

Use of proprietary protocols to access Microsoft calendaring is far less
interesting, however: Chasing proprietary protocols is both expensive
and unreliable.

Expensive because those in control of the protocols have little
insentive to support cometing use of it, and only a smaller fraction of
those not in control have interest in developing and maintaining support
for protocols required only for a narrow scope.

Unreliable both because of the tiny interest to begin with (most Free
software is strengthened by the "eyeballs" effect - collaboration to
sport flaws and peer pressure to do stellar work - and also because
those in control can (and evidently do) change procols at any time.

DebianParl is for individual Parliamentarians/parliamentary workers or
smaller teams, who (unlike full Parliaments as institutions) likely
cannot afford such reliance on proprietary standards.

What is realistic on a small budget is use of Open Standards.

I believe budget for the Greens/EFA pilot project of 10 DebianParl users
is only the price of the laptops + price of an additional laptop for me
+ a few train rides for me + coffee for our meetings.

I would prefer an eventual larger budget be spent on more laptops (i.e.
more users) rather than on chasing proprietary standards at the whim of
Microsoft and upgrade policies at the EU institutional level.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas